Overview of the Department
The Excise Department is responsible for collection of Excise Revenue and also enforcement of different provisions of Assam Excise Act, 1910 and Assam Excise Rules, 1945. The department handed by the Commissioner of Excise Assam and is under his direct control. The Excise Department implements provisions of various Acts and Rules framed to regulate sale, manufacture, import, transport and export of intoxicating liquor and intoxication subtances such opium, Ganja, Bhang and other intoxicating substances prepared from cannabis plant. The department also regulate other substances containing alcohol privilege of the Government in respect of sell, storage and manufacture of he intoxicating liquor viz. IMFL, BEER etc. and Country liquor spirit has been parted on realization of license fees and levy of duty on such items and the Excise department regulates realization of such fees and duty which is termed as Excise Revenue as per Assam Excise Acts, 1910 and Rules made there under which facilitate the same.
Name of Acts & Rules of the Department:
- Assam Excise Act, 1910
- Assam Excise Rules, 1945
- Assam Bonded Warehouse Rules, 1965
- Assam Distillery Rules. Assam Liquor Prohibition Act, 1952
- Assam Opium Prohibition Act, 1947
- Assam Ganja & Bhang Prohibition Act, 1958
- Assam Temperance Act, 1926.
- Narcotics Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985
- Dangerous Drugs Act.
There are Three organization running under the Commissioner of Excise, Assam:
- Office of the Joint Commissioner of Excise, Assam (EIB)
- Office of the Chemical Examiner (Excise), Assam
- Office of the State Anti Drugs & Prohibition Council. Assam
- Office of Joint Commissioner of Excise:
The functioning of this office mainly base on Intelligence cell. The Excise personal are involved in collection of secret information from various places in Assam.
- Office of the Chemical Examiner (Excise) :
The organization headed by the Chemical Examiner (Excise) who is a technical person and works under the direct control of the Commissioner of Excise, Assam. Their activities include chemical analyzable of various liquor samples and other intoxicating drugs samples sent from various district of the state. The chemical analyzer is declared as Chemical Expert of the Department.
- Office of the State Anti Drugs & Prohibition Council :
The State anti Drugs and Prohibition Council , Assam created in July, 1974. The Council has been framed under different Act namely -The Assam Liquor Prohibition Act, 1952
- The Assam Liquor Prohibition Act, 1952
- The Opium Prohibition Act, 1947
- The Assam Ganja & Bhang Prohibition Act, 1958
It is an autonomous body. The body is formed to create awareness amongst all sections of the society in respect of narcotic drugs and also alcohol. State anti drugs & prohibition council is run two de-addiction centers one at Silchar and another at Jorhat.